Surf Life Saving Queensland (SLSQ) has announced that all beaches from Mackay to the Sunshine Coast will be closed today (March 30), and have been advised that all Gold Coast beaches will also be closed. The severe weather currently being experienced is creating powerful, unstable and dangerous surf conditions across the south east.
Due to this, Surf Life Saving Australia (SLSA) has advised that all water events scheduled to take place today for the Aussies have been suspended.
Conditions will be monitored and further updates will be provided.
SLSQ implores everyone to stay out of the water.
• Do not go swimming – beaches are closed today
• Look for and follow the advice of safety signs
• Listen to the emergency warnings and follow the advice of emergency services and your local councils
• Avoid floodwaters and swollen river mouths
• Be careful of debris and other hazards that may have washed into the surf after heavy rainfall, such as rubbish, tree branches and rocks.