Media Releases, News

Dangerous surf conditions to continue today

Surf Life Saving Queensland (SLSQ) is re-iterating the warning to put safety first around coastal areas today, as the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM)re-issues ‘Hazardous Surf Warning’ and a ‘Severe Weather Warning’ along the southern parts of Queensland.

SLSQ lifesaving operations coordinator Jason Argent explained what is expected along the South-East Qld beaches.

“ Ex-tropical cyclone Linda is continuing to create large swells and strong winds, this coupled with abnormally high tides, will see conditions continue to be very dangerous.

“We are again asking everyone to use common-sense and be aware of the situation.

“Lifeguards will once again assess conditions continuously throughout the day, and they will close the beach if it is deemed too unsafe for beachgoers to enter the water. Please if a red flag is up and a
beach closed sign is on display, do not enter the water,” he said.

Conditions are expected to ease going into Friday.

2018 Queensland Surf Life Saving Championship event update:

The current conditions have meant that the first day of competition at the 2018 Queensland Surf LifeSaving Championships on Friday (March 16) will be shifted from Maroochydore to Mooloolaba.

An announcement on the weekend’s competition will be announced in the next 24-48 hours.

SLSQ surf sports manager Stuart Hogben said the safety of competitors, officials, and volunteers had been the first and foremost priority when making the decision.

Recent Posts