Surf Life Saving Queensland is urging beachgoers on the Gold Coast to exercise caution in the water and put safety first, with powerful surf forecast across the day.
All swimmers are encouraged to only enter the water at patrolled beaches and remain within the red and yellow flags at all times.
The powerful conditions are also expected to be potentially hazardous for other coastal activities such as crossing bars by boat and rock fishing.
SLSQ encourages beachgoers to follow these simple steps to help protect themselves in the water:
- Only swim at patrolled beaches and between the red and yellow flags
- Don’t swim at night or after drinking alcohol
- Look for and follow the advice of safety signs
- Listen to the emergency warnings and follow the advice of emergency services and your local councils
- Avoid floodwaters and swollen river mouths
- Be careful of debris and other hazards that may have washed into the surf after heavy rainfall, such as rubbish, tree branches and rocks