Uncategorized

Update on the 2018 Queensland Surf Life Saving Championships

SLSQ has been closely monitoring the coastal forecast and expected surf conditions leading into this weekend’s Queensland Surf Life Saving Championships on the Sunshine Coast.

Our latest update points towards an increased easterly swell likely to hit the coast on Wednesday afternoon/Thursday morning. This has already caused us to postpone the 2018 UQ Secondary School Surf League Championships and to fine up contingency plans for the 2018 QLD Masters/Senior Championships.

At this stage we are still planning to run the event at Maroochydore however we wanted to run all the clubs and team managers through our contingency plans just in case.

If the event is relocated due to conditions we will be heading to Mooloolaba. All craft trailers will be stored in the two semi-circle car parks located across the road from the boat ramp car park (these will be blocked off for clubs). The car park next to the surf club will be used for carnival gear and IRBs.

SLSQ will continue to monitor the conditions with the help of BOM and we aim to give all clubs and team managers another update on Wednesday afternoon. We will also be working with the local lifeguards and patrols to give us the most up-to-date information. This should give us time to assess the beaches and check the damage of the impending swell.

We understand that some members have trained all season for this event however we are also mindful of potential damage to craft and persons traveling to Aussies.

We thank you for your patience and consideration around this issue.

Recent Posts